Question about HSB

Joe's first novel.

Question about HSB

Postby ladystardust214 on Wed May 09, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm doing a book report for my English 9 Honors class on HSB. It's a 7-page journal just full of personal reactions and responses to parts of the book (although I am WELL OVER 7 pages already) and I was having trouble pinpointing the main theme of the novel.

Could anybody help me out? Thanks so much!
ladystardust214

Postby Mike_Lowrie on Thu May 10, 2007 12:38 am

Themes for books are quite subjective and depend on many things. I would never speak for another writers work ever. But for me as I read HSB I had a running theme in my head of running away from personal demons and a true disconnection from ones emotional psyche. Manifestations from a fractured perspective can be quite haunting.
No Comment!
Mike_Lowrie

Postby sybil on Thu May 10, 2007 10:00 am

that's a good answer, mike.

i think there's a good dose of "be careful what you ask for" as well.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby joe_hill on Thu May 10, 2007 12:59 pm

Ladystardust,

Welcome to the board.

H-SB has a few thematic concerns. The one that was probably the most important to me, at least while I was writing it, was this idea that music (and art in general) can be both a kind of armor, to protect a person from the world's sharp edges, and a weapon, a way for someone to strike back at their own unhappiness. Like all ghost stories, the book is also a look at the way the past is always with us, staining the present. Jude is a pretty haunted guy, even before he buys the suit with the ghost attached to it: so is Georgia, and Danny, and just about everyone else in the novel.

Good stories usually pose some questions about what it means to be human (it only has to pose the questions - it doesn't have to answer them). When you're talking about theme, you're really just trying to isolate those questions. So for the purposes of your paper, you probably just want to zero in on the kinds of things you were asking yourself, as you were reading. Even a simple question - is Jude going to survive - is a way of getting at bigger questions. Like: what happens to us when we die?

Good luck with that paper. Sorry not to reply to you sooner. I started this post late last night, but wore out before I was able to finish it.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby ladystardust214 on Thu May 10, 2007 2:48 pm

Wow, thanks you guys! And a lot of thanks to you too, Joe!

If I don't ace this report, I may have to throw one of those infamous teenage-girl tantrums...haha.
ladystardust214

Postby KingoftheHill on Thu May 10, 2007 2:55 pm

ladystardust214 wrote:
If I don't ace this report, I may have to throw one of those infamous teenage-girl tantrums...haha.

Ah, do it anyway!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Good luck on the report. :) Thanks, Joe, for more insight into the book. Being a classic Rock lover, I enjoyed all the music references.
KingoftheHill

Postby val04463 on Sat May 12, 2007 8:51 pm

I kinda took the theme to be...You can't always get what you want..but if you try real hard..you get what you need.

Now where have I heard that before? :shock:
val04463

Postby Dana_Jean on Sat May 12, 2007 9:15 pm

where have you been val?
Dana_Jean

Postby sybil on Mon May 14, 2007 10:35 am

yeah val...how dare you go missing without letting DJ know you're gonna be gone.
you know how she gets......
janis the joeker
sybil

themes

Postby savage on Mon May 21, 2007 12:53 pm

Be careful lady stardust! (love the Bowie reference btw)
This is shaping up just like the scene in 'back to school'. The wealthy college student has Kurt Vonnegut (WE MISS YOU) help him with his term paper on Vonnegut. The teacher has no knowledge of this expert advice and gives the student an F.

[after Diane gives Thornton an 'F' for his report, which was actually written by Kurt Vonnegut]
Diane: Whoever *did* write this doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut!
[cut to Thornton's dorm suite]
Thornton Melon: [on the phone] ... and *another* thing, Vonnegut! I'm gonna stop payment on the cheque!
[Kurt tells him off]
Thornton Melon: Fuck me? Hey, Kurt, can you read lips, *fuck you*! Next time I'll call Robert Ludlum!
[hangs up]
savage

Re: themes

Postby ladystardust214 on Mon May 21, 2007 2:29 pm

savage wrote:This is shaping up just like the scene in 'back to school'.

Hmm, I've never seen it!
But my teacher knows I posted here; when I was checking it and got my initial responses, my friend was with me and was reading over my shoulder. She was talking to Mr. S (my teacher) about getting in contact with authors and she was like "Oh yeah, Keri got a reply from Joe Hill on his message boards". I don't think he minds - he seemed rather excited, actually.
And, thanks for the compliment - Lady Stardust is my favorite Bowie song! :D
ladystardust214

Postby ladystardust214 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Just thought I'd let anyone who wanted to know that I just got my project back, and I got a perfect score! A 100! Yay!
:mrgreen:
ladystardust214

Postby Samoa_Girl on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:42 pm

ladystardust214 wrote:Just thought I'd let anyone who wanted to know that I just got my project back, and I got a perfect score! A 100! Yay!
:mrgreen:

Wooohooo!! Way to go LSD!!
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Postby KingoftheHill on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:56 pm

BRAVO, stardust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Mercy on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:31 am

Congrats Stardust!
Mercy

Next

Return to Heart-Shaped Box