New Year's Resolutions

A place for topics not listed above.

Re: New Year's Resolutions

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:11 am

grasking wrote:Do picture books count? What about the pop-ups?

LOL! Absolutely! I counted The Wolves in the Walls (Gaiman).
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 am

58 is great. Sixty was workin' it pretty hard for me, but I tried to keep it interesting. I read a pretty eclectic bunch of things so it was, overall, a good reading year.

So far, I've read:

The Illustrated Stephen King Companion by Bev Vincent (fantastic. Recommend this highly for SK fans)
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Just After Sunset by Stephen King (A more mature group of writings, but I liked it. Graduation Afternoon was my favorite.)

I'm currently reading:

Basket Case by Carl Hiaasen, and Wicked Plants--The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 am

I've still got that SK Companion on hold at B&N...haven't gotten over to pick it up. I def want to read ANANSI BOYS, too. Geez...there really isn't enough time to read everything I want to!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:29 am

And, if I can ask your opinions, do you feel that audiobooks are a cheat? My son and I had a debate about this. He feels that they are cheating and that they should only count for half a book on my reading log. I don't agree with this at all. As long as it is unabridged (I never read abridged things), I believe they are a valid way to "read" a book.

The only drawbacks I can see to audios is if the author has written a forward or afterword that may not be recorded on the audio. Or if there is additional information about each story in collections. (which I love when authors do that). When I listen to an audio, I always make sure I see the physical book too because I want to read these extra things. They are as important to me as the story(s) themselves. Also, I love to read who a book is dedicated too and any acknowledgments at the end. I even check out Bibliographies and indexes too.

So, do you guys feel audios are a cheat?
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:31 am

Audios Betsy. audios. I'm in my car a lot. I drive; I listen. I clean my house; I listen. I volunteer at an elementary school shelving books in the library; I listen. And I didn't realize how much I watched TV. I now take a lot of that time and listen to audios.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:33 pm

Wow, I totally disagree with your son, Dana! As long as the book is unabridged- how does he see it as cheating?? Has a blind person not truly "read" a book if he/she listens to an audio? Or must they read only braille?

I read physical books more than I listen to audio but listening is sometimes a more visual experience than holding the book and reading it, especially when you have a reader/s who really captures the voices of the characters. It's hard not to become engaged when someone starts telling you a story. :)

When I'm reading at Jake's school, I can sometimes get pulled out of my book by the things around me- people walking, horns honking, etc. When I'm listening to an audiobook, the outside world becomes a kind of background noise that's easy to tune out.

But I still really enjoy having that book in my hands.....the feel, the smell...I love it. :)

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby grasking on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:33 pm

I would never count listening to an audiobook as reading. Just like I don't count listening to a song in my car as reading.
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Seems like we have a difference of opinions here! I tend to count audio books but it is a different experience from reading. I like audio books for the reason you said DJ...I can do mundane tasks and get a story at the same time. There is so little time left to get to all the stories I want to! And I've loved being read to ever since I was little. I don't think it's a "cheat" but it is different. To me the bottom line is you're getting the story, right?

Betsy_Boo

Postby grasking on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Seems like we have a difference of opinions here! I tend to count audio books but it is a different experience from reading. I like audio books for the reason you said DJ...I can do mundane tasks and get a story at the same time. There is so little time left to get to all the stories I want to! And I've loved being read to ever since I was little. I don't think it's a "cheat" but it is different. To me the bottom line is you're getting the story, right?

So, if it's a "different experience from reading", then it's not reading, correct?
grasking

Postby grasking on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 pm

I hear they're thinking of doing an audiobook for Locke & Key.
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:35 am

grasking wrote:I hear they're thinking of doing an audiobook for Locke & Key.

I guess you're right...technically it's not "reading". Maybe DJ could count all the books she "experienced" in 2009?
And LOL on the L&K audio!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Francesca on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 am

I've also become a journalist. I won't say where. Shhhhh...don't tell anyone. Thank you to Gwynn Dyer for inspiring me to try new things and for Tony Lee who said, "You can kill a man but you can't kill an idea."

One door shuts...another opens.

"There is something I see in you. It might kill me. I want it to be true."
Francesca

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Okay, maybe it's not eyesight "reading", but it's still taking in the same information. I guess it all depends on what each individual thinks the definition of "reading" is. So, yes, maybe experienced would be a better term. But I still think it's a valid way of partaking of a book and I'M COUNTING IT ON MY READING LOG DAMMIT! :lol:
Dana_Jean

Postby grasking on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:43 pm

Yes, I concer. Experienced is a better term for audio books.
grasking

Postby grasking on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:45 pm

Plus it sounds better.

"Oh, you read War & Peace. Well that's nice. But I experienced it!"
grasking

PreviousNext

Return to The Remainder Bin