SIGNED BOOKS..an idea.

A place for topics not listed above.

Re: SIGNED BOOKS..an idea.

Postby demorganakamark on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:Who likes Peter Straub and wants his newest novel signed...A DARK MATTER.

I have to tell you...there are only 4 authors that I would love to have a signed book of...Harlan Ellison, Stephen King, John Irving and Margaret Atwood. If you could ever get one of those out there in la la land I would def make it worth your while!!
Mostly Ellison. I think he used to do a lot of signings out your way...don't know if he still does, but I think he lives in CA.

The ill keep my One GOOD EYE open out for them.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Patti smith, order here. Sometimes they go quick.

http://www.booksoup.com/Details.asp?ProductID=1600
demorganakamark

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Melissa wrote:have to be after the baby, because you KNOW we have to have some drinks! lol

Well, that goes without saying! :D
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:23 pm

demorganakamark wrote:
Betsy_Boo wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:Who likes Peter Straub and wants his newest novel signed...A DARK MATTER.

I have to tell you...there are only 4 authors that I would love to have a signed book of...Harlan Ellison, Stephen King, John Irving and Margaret Atwood. If you could ever get one of those out there in la la land I would def make it worth your while!!
Mostly Ellison. I think he used to do a lot of signings out your way...don't know if he still does, but I think he lives in CA.

The ill keep my One GOOD EYE open out for them.

Thanks Mark...you're a peach!
"One GOOD EYE"? :(

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:32 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:[Thanks Mark...you're a peach!
"One GOOD EYE"? :(

I thought that there was signed John Irvin at the haven foundation( SK set it up). I guess its not there anymore.
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:39 am

BB.....HARLAN ELLISON..check here.

http://harlanellison.com/herc.htm

I think that its his own personal website and there are some signed books that may be available.

---------------------------------and also-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=harlan+ellison

But, i would only go for the signed/limiteds...
Last edited by demorganakamark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
demorganakamark

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks Mark...I have been checking the HE website periodically and on the homepage it says it hasn't been updated for 3 years. I don't know if that means the book list is up-to-date. If I can figure out how to contact HE's webmaster and get a confirmation I would gladly order one. Regarding ebay, I'm a little aprehensive about ordering from it. How do you know you're getting something authentic?
I truly appreciate the research you've done though. Thanks so much!

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:32 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:Thanks Mark...I have been checking the HE website periodically and on the homepage it says it hasn't been updated for 3 years. I don't know if that means the book list is up-to-date. If I can figure out how to contact HE's webmaster and get a confirmation I would gladly order one. Regarding ebay, I'm a little aprehensive about ordering from it. How do you know you're getting something authentic?
I truly appreciate the research you've done though. Thanks so much!

Let me take a look and ill give an example of one that i think is authentic.
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:51 am

Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGNED-NO-DOORS-NO-WINDOWS-Harlan-Ellison-1ST-HCDJ-MINT_W0QQitemZ310194991736QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fiction_Books?hash=item48390ff278
Im thinking that this is legit because it looks like a signed/limited because it has a limitation page( a page that tell you what # the singed book is that you are getting) that states this is #137 out of 1000 tht was signed by the author. Plus, you can see that in the picture of the price tag that it says limited edition. Then, if im still cautious, i would put in the title of the book and author and see if i can find any info about the signed limited to verify that YES, they made this batch of books and it was signed by the author. I did find a small website that mentioned that the book exist, but I lost it. It did verify that it was a run of 1000 and that they where signed. SO, then I would feel a little more comfortable.
+ it had seen that it had a slipcase, which usually indicates a special edition of a title.
Last edited by demorganakamark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:01 pm

IF you still need convincing, then I would see if the webmaster has an opinion about the book on ebay. Just like when Shane( god bless him) was telling people that one time to send in a photo of the Joe's signature and he would give u and opinion about it. .............Ive actually asked the moderator at SK's site about a signed golfball.....I wasnt buying it, i was wanting to check out the legitness of this charity's signed golfball. Its fortunate for People that want to buy Signed King stuff that there is a place to let some really great people take a look at the sig before you bid on a signed book....one that isnt a signed/limited of his. Ive been lucky that all of mine that i bought( maybe 2) before i found out about the site, they deemed authentic( i was lucky..now, i go everytime to them).
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Oh, in case you where wondering. For S. King. here is some VERY VALUable sites. IMO
1)THe collector--alot of info about kings books and value, I use as a way to gauge the value of a book and get some valuable info from the forums. great place.He also has links to other places that i find extremely helpful.
http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/index.php
2) stephen king fakes-you have to join to get inside, but if you are going to be starting to buy SK flatsigned books, then this place will help you decide if its a legit sig or not...you can also ask people at the collector as well. Soon you will start to notice certain names that appear everywhere...jhanic, hes a very knowledgable and nice guy.
http://skfakes.proboards.com/index.cgi?
3) the dark tower--im just now going over there at times. I still dont know my way around very well. But, I think that Patrick may.
http://www.thedarktower.com/
demorganakamark

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Wow...you know your stuff, Mark! Thanks! I did find a contact email for the webmaster and wrote him. In the meantime I'll check out that book you posted.

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Oh, and you can always ask msmod at S. Kings website for her opinion. Hell, she may even go ask the man himself. Very nice people over there as well.
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Wow...you know your stuff, Mark! Thanks! I did find a contact email for the webmaster and wrote him. In the meantime I'll check out that book you posted.

Well, thank you BB. Im an amateur by far. There are people that REALLY know their stuff. It makes me appreciate Joe taking the time to sign as he does for us even more.
demorganakamark

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:31 pm

Ok...Zeds looks legit to me and it has a lot of happy customers. They also have THE ESSENTIAL ELLISON, which is one of the books I've been looking for. If I don't hear back from the HE WM, I may just purchase that.
Thanks again!

Betsy_Boo

PreviousNext

Return to The Remainder Bin