Bang, pop! Comic book event in Bangor

A place to keep up on signings/readings

Bang, pop! Comic book event in Bangor

Postby meridith on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:19 pm

http://www.bangpopmaine.com/

ok the above link gives info about Bang-pop. I haven't been here in awhile because i have a lot going on. anyway, I see Joe is going to be there. are there going to be signings, readings etc? or just special tables for the featured folks? I didn't even know about this until recently. I passed it on to an acquaintance that has published some comics recently and he didn't know about it either until I told him, and he lives an hour and a half from Bangor. It's cool its only $40 to set up a table. Is this the first year they have done this?

oh yeah-and of course I'm going : ) Spectacular events is a good size, but not huge, although maybe I'm overestimating how many would come. Surprised they didnt have it in the Bangor Auditorium I'm sure cost is an issue
meridith

Re: Bang, pop! Comic book event in Bangor

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:41 pm

That looks cool....
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:13 pm

I hope if anyone hears anything about Joe coming south they'll let me know.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:59 pm

meridith wrote:ok the above link gives info about Bang-pop.

It should actually read as simply --> BangPop! -- no hyphen. It's a combination of Bangor & Pop Culture.

I see Joe is going to be there. are there going to be signings, readings etc? or just special tables for the featured folks? Is this the first year they have done this?

There will be signings there. Perhaps some readings from the special guests, but that's not been certified, as far as I know, just yet. This is the first year that BangPop! has happened, yes.

Spectacular events is a good size, but not huge, although maybe I'm overestimating how many would come. Surprised they didnt have it in the Bangor Auditorium I'm sure cost is an issue

Well, the layout of Spectacular Events is ideal for this incarnation of BangPop!, as it's got separate areas/rooms that are going to make it easier for the there to be a room for educators and lectures/discussions, and a room for people to mingle with the guests and artists there. Imagine trying to give a lecture over a crowd of people talking to authors and artists... it would be distracting and not easy to do. The Bangor Auditorium is really just an open area, and that would be more difficult to accomplish effectively.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby meridith on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:27 pm

makes sense that Spectacular events is a better place with the discussions/lectures etc.

Is there any estimate on the number of people coming?

who came up with the idea? it's a great idea BTW whoever thought of it!

Shane wrote:
meridith wrote:ok the above link gives info about Bang-pop.

It should actually read as simply --> BangPop! -- no hyphen. It's a combination of Bangor & Pop Culture.

I see Joe is going to be there. are there going to be signings, readings etc? or just special tables for the featured folks? Is this the first year they have done this?

There will be signings there. Perhaps some readings from the special guests, but that's not been certified, as far as I know, just yet. This is the first year that BangPop! has happened, yes.

Spectacular events is a good size, but not huge, although maybe I'm overestimating how many would come. Surprised they didnt have it in the Bangor Auditorium I'm sure cost is an issue

Well, the layout of Spectacular Events is ideal for this incarnation of BangPop!, as it's got separate areas/rooms that are going to make it easier for the there to be a room for educators and lectures/discussions, and a room for people to mingle with the guests and artists there. Imagine trying to give a lecture over a crowd of people talking to authors and artists... it would be distracting and not easy to do. The Bangor Auditorium is really just an open area, and that would be more difficult to accomplish effectively.
meridith

Postby Patrick on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:34 am

This sounds like a great event. Have fun!
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Shane on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:22 pm

BangPop! was a lot of fun. I saw old friends, met new ones, took a bunch of pictures, made plans for even more, bought some art, saw some really great artists, and can attest to how beautiful looking the L&K hardcover is. I think people are really going to love it when they see it.

So, it was really a fun day all around, and I hope that everyone else out there found equally entertaining ways to enjoy their weekend.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby demorganakamark on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:30 am

You got me beat man.....
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Barry_Wood on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:20 am

Sounds like it was a great time.
Barry_Wood

Postby meridith on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:47 pm

It was really cool. Had a better turnout than I would have expected for a 1st time convention. I can never tell what events people will show up in Maine and what they wont....it only seems moderately related to advertising....apparently comics and pop culture has some interest in the Bangor area! They also advertised it in a free local newspaper type thingy which probably helped.

oh and I won one of the signed graphic novels, we only bought two tickets! Talk about lucky. some friends of ours that stayed for us (we had to leave early) emailed me to let me know. i was surprised because I don't win things that often!

I should have taken some pictures but I didn't. I get so into people watching/checking things out that I forgot to take pics. Plus i left my memory card at home, I always do things like that : )

Joe did a good job with the reading, read from Pop-Art and his Locke and Key comic, and then a Q&A. I was late so he might have read from another short story as well.
meridith

Postby Nerak on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:49 am

Meridith, I am sooooo jealous!!! They rest of us have to wait until OCT to get the hardcover!

Congrats!
Nerak

Postby meridith on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:03 pm

yeah I feel pretty lucky!!!!!! : )
meridith

Return to To All Appearances...