Happy Joe Hill Day!!!

A place to keep up on signings/readings

Postby LauraK on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:09 pm

Don't feel bad, Val. A star-struck tourette's sufferer is is a good way to describe how I felt when I had the pleasure of meeting Joe's Dad a few yrs back. :)

haven't you been saying to yourself- "I shouldn't have said ***! I should've asked him ***! Why didn't I ***?" Lol, ah well. Next time, we will be smooth and impressive, right? :P

Hey, I'm a blood-giver too! Not as much as it could be but I've given 4 gallons and 2 pints so far. I can't resist the free juice and cookies at the end.......

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:24 pm

val, you did understand I was embarrassed for me being such a blabby idiot on this board and not that you should be embarrassed, right?

Hell, you're one of those ladies I'm living vicariously through!
Dana_Jean

Postby val04463 on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:47 am

I haven't met too many famous people....I did take lunch to a classroom of 3rd graders where Mr. King was a guest. I owned the Village Sandwich and Pizza Shop. After his talk he went around the room and asked each kid what they like to read-Which authors...and when he got to me I said "You...just you!"...

I was a 26 year-old woman for fuck's sake!!Can't you just picture me pouring over books with frayed and missing pages while I ignore all other people's work!!

What a frigging idiotic answer!!!

I meet Art Garfunkel but I didn't know who he was until my Husband recognized him...I mentioned I had just gotten back from New York city, I had attended and participated in "Hands Across America". He sang a few bars from the Hands Across America song, so in my old befuddled mind I have stored that away and it will soon become a full-length Private Concert!!
Last edited by val04463 on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
val04463

Postby Janice on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:18 am

I don't know, Val. It seems to me if I were a writer, and the work I published was able to get people who wouldn't ordinarily read interested in book - well, I think I'd be complimented by that instead of thinking that was an idiotic answer (I'm currently a 26-year-old woman, BTW. What exactly were ya trying to say there...? :twisted: ).
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby Nerak on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:27 am

I am jealous as hell that Steve was at the Bangor signing! Dammit! LoL I will have to get over it.
Nerak

Postby Shane on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:41 am

val04463 wrote:My Spawn and I know what Shane looks like...

Not at first you didn't... so what changed? For a while there, your guesses included everyone in the shot! :)

Janice wrote:Did you have on an invisibility cloak or something, since from Val's account your paths didn't cross??

I was thinking about getting a small bite from the cafe there, so I went in to the bathroom to wash my hands. When I walked back out, there was a woman stalking me...er, I mean, she was taking pictures of the bulletin board between the two restrooms. I nearly walked into her shot before halting up and sidestepping her.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:10 am

Shane wrote:

Not at first you didn't... so what changed? For a while there, your guesses included everyone in the shot! :)

Janice wrote:Did you have on an invisibility cloak or something, since from Val's account your paths didn't cross??

I was thinking about getting a small bite from the cafe there, so I went in to the bathroom to wash my hands. When I walked back out, there was a woman stalking me...er, I mean, she was taking pictures of the bulletin board between the two restrooms. I nearly walked into her shot before halting up and sidestepping her.

Hey Shane...I have to say this thread has my curiosity peaked about you. Especially since yesterday...a couple of girls came into the store looking for EVERYTHING'S EVENTUAL...they had trouble finding it because of the movie-tie-in cover that has 1408 on it. Anyway, as I was explaining to them that it was the same book, just with a different cover I opened it up and saw it was dedicated to you! So my guess is that you are a family member or at least a very close friend of the family. I won't ask any questions because I think you deserve your privacy, but I must say I am intrigued about you. On my honor, I promise not to stalk you.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:19 am

I'm guessing they're best buds.......either that or Joe pays him in the high-six figures to keep him here.....

(I've seen his pic on MySpace too. He has that look that says "Defender-of-bb-poster's-rights!") ;)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby val04463 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:43 pm

Shane wrote:

That was no woman..that was my daughter...and she remembered you and described you and then I remembered you!!
val04463

Postby meridith on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:08 pm

YUP I am blondish! LOL. I had really really blonde hair as a kid. Probably because I was always outside! Its sort of dirty blonde now. I was wearing glasses, and all purple (flying purple people eater? LOL). I'm a bit on the..ahem...chunky side too...hope that was a good description. oh and I'm a bit younger, well I'm under 30...but not by much! (a few months)

Yeah Mrs. King's sister seemed really nice. I had no idea who she was until she said she was an aunt. She had that familiar look that people have, you know, that feeling you have seen them somewhere before, but I dont' think I've seen her before. She did look a bit like Tabby, that could have been it.

I actually showed up late because we were visiting some friends and I didn't want to just eat and run....my hubby was trying to set up their wireless network so he didn't come with me either. So anyway, I was standing in the back. I missed the reading, I heard him answering questions.

The only time I say "online" is when I talk about the internet :)

LOL on the blood letting. My husband gives blood all the time. He said it makes him feel better. Personally, I'm way to queesy to do that. I gave viles and viles when I was pregnant (preeclampsia, fun fun!) so I kind of got used to it.....

val04463 wrote:Where did you sit? I must have seen you!! Blondish? Yup..I saw Mrs. Kings sister...didn't realize she was in line...you must have been ahead of us.

Do you guys say "In line?"..I once read in a book that only New Yorkers say "On Line", but I've heard it so much that I can't believe it isn't more widely used!!

Joe also talked to us about Blood-Letting...OK...I'm lying.
We did talk about donating blood...My kid got on some tangent about how when we donate blood at the same time I try to get credit for her pint as well as mine because technically her blood is my blood..any way I said that was because I was considering going for the world record, which is 200-something pints. Joe said he had seen a spot on 60-minutes where I think it was Morley Shaffer was interviewing him and was kinda making fun of him. That is NOT cool...

I'll bet if Joe knew I actually remembered all this stuff he would be amazed..He would wonder how I heard or remembered anything he said as I was spewing/babbling gibberish like a star-struck Tourette's sufferer!
meridith

Postby meridith on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:15 pm

One famous person I've met is Tim Sample. He was my neighbor as a kid!! He even gave me a piggy back ride once. He was really really tall (at least how I remember) and doesn't really have the super super Maine accent...his two girls were really nice and all have since moved away.

less famous folks, I've met Baldacci (The Maine gov), and Bob from sesame street, and I"ve been to tons of concerts. I had a friend that met Coolio at the Ground Round in Bangor of all places....kind of odd...she has the cell phone pic outside to proove it though LOL.

val04463 wrote:I haven't met too many famous people....I did take lunch to a classroom of 3rd graders where Mr. King was a guest. I owned the Village Sandwich and Pizza Shop. After his talk he went around the room and asked each kid what they like to read-Which authors...and when he got to me I said "You...just you!"...

I was a 26 year-old woman for fuck's sake!!Can't you just picture me pouring over books with frayed and missing pages while I ignore all other people's work!!

What a frigging idiotic answer!!!

I meet Art Garfunkel but I didn't know who he was until my Husband recognized him...I mentioned I had just gotten back from New York city, I had attended and participated in "Hands Across America". He sang a few bars from the Hands Across America song, so in my old befuddled mind I have stored that away and it will soon become a full-length Private Concert!!
meridith

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:45 am

I get all tongue tied and star-struck too. I recently attended our Book Marks festival...we had John Hart, Orson Scott Card and Amy Sedaris! I bought 4 of her books I LIKE YOU! for christmas presents for my family. While she was signing I told her how much I loved the book and how all my siblings have loved her brother David's books, especially the ones about their growing up years. Then I babbled about how we all wish we could have grown up in her family. She gave me the strangest look...like I was insane or something. My daughter was with me and after we left the table, she said "Mom...sometimes you are so goofy." The next time I go to a book signing I'm keeping my mouth firmly closed!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Previous

Return to To All Appearances...