Joe Hill in Portland, ME Borders last night.

A place to keep up on signings/readings

Joe Hill in Portland, ME Borders last night.

Postby HellBoy on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:01 am

Joe did a reading last night (10/28) at Borders in Portland, ME. He read a piece of an upcoming short that was very unique in a number of ways. It was also great to hear about Joe's experiences in publishing and that he'd truly earned the success that he now has.

This was the first time that I'd met him and I was really (although I suppose not all that much) surprised by the resemblence of another King from his earlier years. I had the chance to have Joe sign 20th Century Ghosts and the Poe's Children, as well as get a picture with him. Very articulate fella he is and very down-to-earth.

Joe if you ever read this, I want to thank you again for something that'll I'll remember and will tell enyone who'll listen for the rest of my life. I appreciate you time and patience and the inspiration.

Thanks,

Daniel S Boucher.
Daniel S Boucher
"God punishes us for the things we can't imagine."
HellBoy

Re: Joe Hill in Portland, ME Borders last night.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 am

Welcome Daniel! Thanks so much for coming and telling us about the reading. Everyone who has met Joe has said very similar things about him and I am envious that I haven't had the chance to meet him. Still, just knowing him through this here site I think he is one of the nicest people I've ever not met. What was the short story he read?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby HellBoy on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:35 am

Hello Betsy and thanks for the welcome. If my memory serves me right (sometimes I'm way off), I believe the short was titled: The Devil on the Stairs. The story was inspired while on his ten-year anniversary in Italy and was VERY good I might add.
Daniel S Boucher
HellBoy

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:59 pm

well. that is cool.......and welcome HB..
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:03 pm

oh, thats right, i forgot that it was around this time that i ordered all those books for the man(JH) to sign......damnnnnnn, im going to have a cool BD this year.....high fives all around...come on dont be shy, just put that sucker in the air..this isnt the ymca song...ok, dont worry, there you go, that wasnt bad was it....
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby LauraK on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Very cool, thanks for telling us about it. I hope he comes to MI one day.....*hint*hint*Joe.

Hellboy...I gotta tell you, your movie sequel wasn't quite what I'd hoped it'd be........
but welcome to Joe's place. :D ;)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:31 pm

HellBoy wrote:Hello Betsy and thanks for the welcome. If my memory serves me right (sometimes I'm way off), I believe the short was titled: The Devil on the Stairs. The story was inspired while on his ten-year anniversary in Italy and was VERY good I might add.

Oh yes...I remember he talked about that one on his blog. It's coming out next year in Stories edited by Neil Gaiman. I gotta pre-order that! Thanks D! :D

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Hey Joe...Ten year anniversary in Italy??? Good grief...how do I handle all this envy?????? I've got a 30th coming up and I have no idea how we're gonna celebrate. :(

Betsy_Boo

Postby HellBoy on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Okay - something just happened - a post I just posted just poofed away.
Daniel S Boucher
HellBoy

Postby HellBoy on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Long story short then:

Laura: Thanks for the welcome and I too, was somewhat let-down with HellBoy II.

demorganakamark : Thanks for the welcome and a little help on pronunciation please.

Finally: Joe is very approacable which was a really nice break. To have someone be successful and approachable is truly unique and I can only imagine that has a lot to do with his upbringing and probably having a family. While I was "star-struck" meeting him, I was certianly not intimidated - quite the opposite.
Daniel S Boucher
HellBoy

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:47 pm

HellBoy wrote:Long story short then:

Laura: Thanks for the welcome and I too, was somewhat let-down with HellBoy II.

demorganakamark : Thanks for the welcome and a little help on pronunciation please.

Finally: Joe is very approacable which was a really nice break. To have someone be successful and approachable is truly unique and I can only imagine that has a lot to do with his upbringing and probably having a family. While I was "star-struck" meeting him, I was certianly not intimidated - quite the opposite.

That's interesting...but I just know that if I ever did get the chance to meet Joe I'd be so awe-struck I don't think I'd be able to put together a coherent sentence. You hear that Joe? If we ever do meet and I don't say a word, please tell me you'll understand?

Betsy_Boo

Postby HellBoy on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:51 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:...but I just know that if I ever did get the chance to meet Joe I'd be so awe-struck I don't think I'd be able to put together a coherent sentence...

LOL! I'm sure I came of as a "challenged" individual last night. I didn't even know how to stand when I my picture taken with him. Gawd - now I feel stupid...
Daniel S Boucher
HellBoy

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:58 pm

HellBoy wrote:
Betsy_Boo wrote:...but I just know that if I ever did get the chance to meet Joe I'd be so awe-struck I don't think I'd be able to put together a coherent sentence...

LOL! I'm sure I came of as a "challenged" individual last night. I didn't even know how to stand when I my picture taken with him. Gawd - now I feel stupid...

Hey...can you post the pic? I'd love to see it.

Betsy_Boo

Postby HellBoy on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:03 pm

can you post the pic?

How do I post the pick?
Daniel S Boucher
HellBoy

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:06 pm

HellBoy wrote:
can you post the pic?

How do I post the pick?

Well...if you download it to PhotoBucket you can post a link on your post here. Do you have a PhotoBucket account? It's free. Just Google it and it will walk you through the process. If that's too confusing, I'd be happy to walk you through it.

Betsy_Boo

Next

Return to To All Appearances...