Joe Hill

A place to keep up on signings/readings

Joe Hill

Postby Barry_Wood on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:35 am

I dreamed last night I went into a bookstore in Halifax [it was a small bookstore and hardly any books on their shelves as though the store had just opened or had just had a closing out sale.] The carpets were very thin and the floor was kind of wavy and I walked in and no one was around except the clerk. Then I saw Joe Hill come out from the back carrying an armload of books. He was wearing a red shirt and blue jeans. Amazed, I said, "Joe, I didn't know you were in Halifax. Are you having a signing?"

He said, "Yes, I had one last night and no one came and the rules is that I have to work here now for a few days to pay off the debt."

"The debt?" I asked.

"Yes," he said, picking up a roll of plastic. "You can start helping and hang this up in the windows to block the sun. It gets very hot in here by noontime."

"You're working here, Joe?"

"Yes, I had a book signing last night and they forgot to advertise it and not a single person showed up. The rules is that authors have to make it worthwhile to the store for them to agree for signings. The store said they bought a lamp and new table and tablecloth and I have to pay for them. Rules are rules."

"I've never heard of such a thing," I said, amazed.

"The book business is not as easy as people think, Barry. I've done it before, once in Central Park. No one came to that one either and I had to pay off $200 area renting that the city charges for the space. That time I had to mow lawns and trim bushes. My hands hurt for days. It's more common than you think."

The clerk in the bookstore looked down and didn't seem too impressed I was talking to the hired help so I excused myself and said I'd go home and check for the latest threads on his site. Joe nodded and went back to work.

Then I woke up.
Barry_Wood

Re: Joe Hill

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:16 am

Funny dream, Barry. :) Luckily it's not something Joe has to worry about!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby This_Girl on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:18 am

Ha!
Can you imagine? What a dream, Barry!
This_Girl

Postby LauraK on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:25 am

Lol!

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Patrick on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:31 am

Fantastic!
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Florida on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:48 am

I once had a similar dream only Joe was naked. And mowing my lawn. In a cowboy hat. I was hosing him down with the garden hose.

:::sigh:::
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Return to To All Appearances...