Signed Books

A place to keep up on signings/readings

Signed Books

Postby Shane on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:48 pm

After fielding the question about First Editions, I got some messages about Joe's signed books, and how to tell if they're legitimate. So, I thought I would discuss the notion briefly, seeing as how it's timely again with Joe back on the road promoting 20th Century Ghosts.

The best way to make sure that your signed book is authentic would be to show up at an appearance and get Joe to sign it before your very eyes. If Joe's not showing up at a location near you, and you still want a signed copy, then feel free to call one of the bookstores he'll be appearing at. They routinely will set aside copies for an author to 'cold sign' before/after the reading. The bookstore will probably ask the name you want inscribed inside, but don't go overboard asking for other stuff like "Remember that night in Bangkok!?" You'll have to pay for the book, as well as for the mailing, over the phone... but at least you know it's the real deal. I used to work in a bookstore, and this was a common occurrence for author visits - just don't request 20 copies, or the employee will probably balk at it, knowing you're an eBay store.

Speaking of auction sites -- if you do decide to go shopping online, I would approach purchasing something from eBay with caution. I won't name names, but I have seen selections of books for sale that were obvious forgeries. I've also seen a fair share of items for sale with Joe's seemingly-legitimate signature, but doctored up with additional doodles and quotes that are clearly not in Joe's writing or style. Not everyone on eBay is out to take advantage of you - the majority of venders there are genuine... but stick with sellers who have good feedback and established reputations. Ask them questions if you aren't sure, or just sit tight and wait for the next auction... just don't pay too much for them when you have other options.
Last edited by Shane on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby sybil on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:50 pm

great advice...thanks!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:49 pm

Well...I guess my question to you Shane is do you have any idea if Joe is adding any dates to his tour? Should I start making calls now or wait and hope he comes closer to where I live?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: Signed Books

Postby miamiheat on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:29 am

Hey, I wanted to thank you, Joe! I called ahead of the Odyssey Bookshop signing to pre-order a signed book, and I got it today in the mail. Joe personalized it to me, with a quote from the first story and a drawing! Excellent, and I can't wait to dive into this collection: I loved Heart-Shaped Box!

Again, thanks for taking the time to sign and personalize my book, since I don't live anywhere near the places you are 'touring' this time. I truly appreciate it.

John

Shane wrote:After fielding the question about First Editions, I got some messages about Joe's signed books, and how to tell if they're legitimate. So, I thought I would discuss the notion briefly, seeing as how it's timely again with Joe back on the road promoting 20th Century Ghosts.

The best way to make sure that your signed book is authentic would be to show up at an appearance and get Joe to sign it before your very eyes. If Joe's not showing up at a location near you, and you still want a signed copy, then feel free to call one of the bookstores he'll be appearing at. They routinely will set aside copies for an author to 'cold sign' before/after the reading. The bookstore will probably ask the name you want inscribed inside, but don't go overboard asking for other stuff like "Remember that night in Bangkok!?" You'll have to pay for the book, as well as for the mailing, over the phone... but at least you know it's the real deal. I used to work in a bookstore, and this was a common occurrence for author visits - just don't request 20 copies, or the employee will probably balk at it, knowing you're an eBay store.

Speaking of auction sites -- if you do decide to go shopping online, I would approach purchasing something from eBay with caution. I won't name names, but I have seen selections of books for sale that were obvious forgeries. I've also seen a fair share of items for sale with Joe's seemingly-legitimate signature, but doctored up with additional doodles and quotes that are clearly not in Joe's writing or style. Not everyone on eBay is out to take advantage of you - the majority of venders there are genuine... but stick with sellers who have good feedback and established reputations. Ask them questions if you aren't sure, or just sit tight and wait for the next auction... just don't pay too much for them when you have other options.
miamiheat

Return to To All Appearances...